|Submission Date||Feb. 11, 2016|
Michigan State University
EN-11: Continuing Education
IPF Strategic Initiatives
Does the institution offer continuing education courses that address sustainability?:
Number of continuing education courses offered that address sustainability:
Total number of continuing education courses offered:
A copy of the list and brief descriptions of the continuing education courses that address sustainability:
A list and brief descriptions of the continuing education courses that address sustainability:
1. LEED Training: AP + Building Design and Construction: Discover the real-world application of Green Building Design and Construction practices on LEED projects. Prepare yourself for the LEED AP+BD&C accreditation exam that (after passing) will allow you to operate as a successful LEED practitioner on and off job sites.
2. LEED Training: Green Associate Exam Preparation: Acquire the fundamental concepts of green building. Then prepare yourself to take the Green Associate exam and earn the LEED Green Associate credential from the Green Building Certification Institute. The course is intended for design, construction and real estate professionals, building owners, or anyone who wants to develop their knowledge in this area.
3. LEED Training: LEED for Existing Buildings - Operations and Maintenance Exam Preparation: This study group covers the concepts and strategies of the LEED for Existing Buildings Operations & Maintenance Rating System and is intended for design, construction and real estate professionals, building owners, and anyone who wants to develop their knowledge in this area. The course will prepare students to earn the LEED for Existing Buildings Operations & Maintenance Accredited Professional (LEED AP O+M) credential from the Green Building Certification Institute.
4. Birds & Coffee: Join an experienced guide on the second Wednesday of each month for a short, birding hike. Discuss the morning’s sightings over a cup of hot, bird-friendly coffee.
5. Classes Without Quizzes: Join us for an exciting insider’s look at MSU’s innovative science research and education. At Classes Without Quizzes, you’ll have the opportunity to:
•Interact with some of the best and brightest faculty and students at MSU;
•See and hear some amazing behind-the-scenes stories; and
•Catch up on the latest research
6. 4-H Classes – Sustainable Choices and Building Beds for Planting Workshop
7. Grand Parents University: MSU Grandparents University is an opportunity for grandparents and grandchildren (ages 8-12) to come together for a three-day educational experience while spending time together on the MSU campus.Participants enjoy the college experience of living in the residence halls, attending classes across campus and sampling the many highlights of MSU. http://www.grandparents.msu.edu/
8. MSU Surplus & Recycling Classes: Composting Classes, Shizzle Work Shop, Flower Making Workshop, Glass Deco Making Class, Pre K Classes, K-3 Classes, 3-7th Grade Classes, High School Classes, College Classes/Tours, Bike Repair Workshop, Sustainable Plants Workshop, Hot Composting Class, Vermicomposting class. http://recycle.msu.edu/index.php/education/classes-and-workshops/
9. MSU Extension Classes: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/events
Does the institution have at least one sustainability-themed certificate program through its continuing education or extension department?:
A brief description of the certificate program:
Forest Carbon Science, Policy and Management - Graduate Certificate. The Graduate Certificate in Forest Carbon Science, Policy and Management provides students with interdisciplinary training necessary to plan, manage, monitor and evaluate climate change mitigation projects that seek to retain or sequester carbon in forest ecosystems. Students will gain specific expertise needed internationally to participate in market-based, climate change mitigation activities such as the United Nations Collaborative Programme on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation
Year the certificate program was created:
The website URL where information about sustainability in continuing education courses is available :
MSU School of Social Work CE course offerings: http://socialwork.msu.edu/courses/index.php
MSU Office of the Registrar CEU Course System: https://reg.msu.edu/Forms/CEU/CEUIntro.asp
MSU Statewide programs and resources for Michigan professionals and practitioners: http://msustatewide.msu.edu/
MSU Recycling course/workshop offerings: http://recycle.msu.edu/index.php/education/classes-and-workshops/
MSU Bikes classes/workshops: http://bikes.msu.edu/?page_id=77
MSU ANR Extension: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/events
MSU Non-credit Education: https://noncredit.msu.edu/listCatalogs.action
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.