|Submission Date||March 6, 2013|
PAE-1: Sustainability Coordination
Associate Professor and Sustainability Coordinator
Department of Geography
Does the institution have a sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee or a brief description of the committee's purview and activities :
The Sustainability Committee is charged with promoting environmentally and economically sustainable practices at Miami University through collaboration between students, faculty, staff, and the wider community. The Committee seeks to enhance understanding of sustainability-related issues and opportunities at Miami University by working with the Sustainability Coordinator to identify and prioritize ways to make Miami more efficient, environmentally sustainable, and competitive.
The Committee solicits sustainability-related inquiries and proposals, links student research and operational challenges, collaborates in institutional research on existing practices and benchmarking, and promotes implementation of academic and operational innovations. The Committee includes students, faculty, staff, and administrators from across university divisions and will report regularly to the University Senate, the Provost, and the Vice President of Business and Finance Services.
Members of the committee, including affiliations:
Tom Crist, Director of the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability (co-chair)
Rod Northcutt, Assistant Professor Art
David Prytherch, Associate Professor of Geography, Sustainability Coordinator (co-chair)
Judith Rogers, Associate Dean, School of Education, Health, and Society
Ann Rypstra, Professor of Zoology, Director of the Ecology Research Center
Rob Abowitz, Associate Director of Residence Life, Student Affairs
Michael Jacquemin, Senior Building and Grounds Manager, HDRBS
Yvette Kline, Director of Sustainability and Energy Conservation, Physical Facilities
Lt. Benjamin Spilman, Director of Parking and Transportation Services
Brian Woodruff, Director of Housing Contracts and Meal Plans, HDRBS
Undergraduate student: Ashleigh Achor, Green Oxford Student Organization
Undergraduate student: Brittany Murphy (Associated Student Government)
Undergraduate student: Jennifer Conley, Beta Alpha Psi/Global Reporting Initiative, FSB
Graduate Student: Allison Becknell, Institute for the Environment and Sustainability, CAS
Cody Powell, Interim Associate Vice President of Facility Planning and Operations
Ray Gorman, Professor and Associate Provost
Susan Meikle, Communications Consultant, University Communications
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee is available:
Does the institution have a sustainability office?:
A brief description of the sustainability office:
Miami has a distributed sustainability office comprised of a full-time Director of Sustainability and Energy Conservation (in the Physical Facilities Department), a part-time Miami University Sustainability Coordinator (in Academic Affairs), a graduate Recycling and Sustainability Coordinator (in Physical Facilities), and a "Green Team" of part-time undergraduate student employees. Totals 2 FTEs.
The number of people employed in the sustainability office:
The website URL where information about the sustainability office is available:
Does the institution have a sustainability coordinator?:
Sustainability coordinator's name:
Sustainability coordinator's position title:
A brief description of the sustainability coordinator’s position:
The Sustainability Coordinator's role is to
* provide leadership in promoting sustainability-related goals within and across university units, promoting communication between students, faculty, and staff;
* raise the profile and promote understanding of sustainability-related issues and opportunities at Miami University;
* work with a Sustainability Committee to identify and prioritize policy changes, including implementation of the recommendations of the Report of the President’s Task Force on Environmental Sustainability;
* provide a point of contact for sustainability-related inquiries and ideas at Miami, particularly to connect student researchers with operational challenges and personnel, but also to forward inquiries or suggestions to appropriate personnel;
* collaborate in institutional research on existing sustainability-related practices and benchmarking;
* collaborate in efforts to secure grant funding for particular campus projects or the work of the Sustainability Coordinator more specifically.
* communicate with existing campus committees on issues relevant to sustainability.
* report on the activities of the Sustainability Coordinator to the Sustainability Committee, Provost, and Vice President for Business and Finance.
The website URL where information about the sustainability coordinator is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.