|Submission Date||Jan. 19, 2021|
PA-2: Sustainability Planning
|4.00 / 4.00||
Director of Sustainability
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address sustainability in curriculum and/or research?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to academics and the plan(s) in which they are published:
The Sustainability Plan includes the following goal for advancing sustainability in the curriculum: increase the number of students exposed to sustainability through academic work.
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address student, employee, or community engagement for sustainability?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to engagement and the plan(s) in which they are published:
The Sustainability Plan includes the following strategy for advancing campus engagement around sustainability: Incorporate sustainability into student learning outside the classroom.
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address sustainability in operations?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to operations and the plan(s) in which they are published:
The Sustainability Plan includes the following strategies for advancing sustainability in energy:
1) Implement energy efficiency projects with a five-year or better financial payback and projects with longer paybacks where practical. Annually review energy efficiency options.
2) Develop a mechanism to track cost savings from energy projects in order to fund later projects.
3) Investigate new ways to form partnerships (with other school, community groups, utilities, etc) to generate, own, and reap financial benefit from clean energy generation
4) Investigate installing solar panels when renovating buildings
5) Investigate renewable energy opportunities and implement renewable energy programs as they become practical
6) Investigate systems to individually monitor energy usage for buildings
7) Investigate creating an energy-efficiency maintenance position
8) Investigate opportunities for energy savings through behavior change, information feedback loops, and outreach.
9) Eliminate fuel oil usage by switching to natural gas by 2015.
10) Install solar panels on Markim Hall
11) Install on-site energy systems as these projects become financially practical
12) Research carbon-neutral, renewable fuel sources such as biogas with the goal of switching to a carbon-neutral fuel at Macalester College by 2025.
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address diversity, equity, and inclusion; sustainable investment/finance; or wellbeing?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to administration and the plan(s) in which they are published:
From the 2016 Sustainability Plan:
Create a wellness advisory committee.
Support a tobacco-free campus.
Promote mental wellness through workshops on healthy sleep, self-care, helping a friend in distress, mindful living, and resilience.
Promote physical wellness through activity classes, Wellness 5K, walking programs, and introduction to the Fitness Center.
Include healthy choices in vending machines, healthy sleep aids at point of sale (eye masks, ear plugs, noise machines, blackout shades, SAD (?) lights)
Ensure adequate financing for health promotion and wellbeing initiatives.
Investigate opportunities to optionally track non-vehicular commute miles to campus and offer incentives
Does the institution have a published strategic plan or equivalent guiding document that includes sustainability at a high level? :
The institution’s highest guiding document (upload):
Website URL where the institution’s highest guiding document is publicly available:
Which of the following best describes the inclusion of sustainability in the highest guiding document?:
The institution's sustainability plan (upload):
Website URL where the institution's sustainability plan is publicly available:
Does the institution have a formal statement in support of sustainability endorsed by its governing body?:
The formal statement in support of sustainability:
The institution’s definition of sustainability:
Sustainability is the continuous effort to meet the needs of the present generation without
compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs by working toward a
healthy environment, social justice, and a strong economy. At Macalester, sustainability is
infused throughout our core values of academic excellence, internationalism,
multiculturalism, and service to society.
Is the institution an endorser or signatory of the following? :
|Yes or No|
|The Earth Charter||No|
|The Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI)||Yes|
|ISCN-GULF Sustainable Campus Charter||---|
|Pan-Canadian Protocol for Sustainability||---|
|Second Nature’s Carbon Commitment (formerly known as the ACUPCC), Resilience Commitment, and/or integrated Climate Commitment||Yes|
|The Talloires Declaration (TD)||Yes|
|UN Global Compact||---|
|Other multi-dimensional sustainability commitments (please specify below)||---|
A brief description of the institution’s formal sustainability commitments, including the specific initiatives selected above:
Website URL where information about the institution’s sustainability planning efforts is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to email@example.com.