|Overall Rating||Gold - expired|
|Submission Date||July 18, 2014|
IN-2: Innovation 2
|1.00 / 1.00||
Macalester Sustainbility Office
Title or keywords related to the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome:
A brief description of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome:
Macalester College created a Sustainability Plan to assess and plan for the reduction of the college’s carbon footprint. The plan established the goal to reduce 2007-2008 carbon dioxide emissions by 52 percent, at a rate of 2.9 percent per year by 2025, and achieve Zero Waste by 2020. Landscape management was targeted to help meet these goals. Specific landscape goals of the Sustainability Plan include:
• Landscape—Maintain grounds in a sustainable and educational manner while providing green space for recreation and events.
• Stormwater—Reduce the pollution, quantity, and speed at which water runs off the campus by infiltrating the first inch of precipitation on campus.
A brief description of any positive measurable outcomes associated with the innovation (if not reported above):
1. Turf areas on campus will be reduced by 60%.
2. The carbon foot print of landscape management on campus will be cut in half by the year 2025.
3. The species diversity of campus plantings will be increased.
4. Signature species of local native habitats will be used throughout the campus landscape.
5. Organic refuse from the landscape will be composted.
6. Integrated pest management will continue to be implemented as a means to decrease dependence on pesticides in landscape maintenance.
7. Song bird habitat will be created where possible
A letter of affirmation from an individual with relevant expertise:
Which of the following STARS subcategories does the innovation most closely relate to? (Select all that apply up to a maximum of five):
|Yes or No|
|Air & Climate||Yes|
|Coordination, Planning & Governance||No|
|Diversity & Affordability||No|
|Health, Wellbeing & Work||No|
Other topic(s) that the innovation relates to that are not listed above:
The website URL where information about the innovation is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.