Overall Rating Bronze
Overall Score 28.23
Liaison Brian Webb
Submission Date March 5, 2020

STARS v2.2

Houghton College
OP-16: Commute Modal Split

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 4.14 / 5.00 Brian Webb
Sustainability Coordinator
Center for Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total full-time equivalent student enrollment:
929

Full-time equivalent of employees:
187

Has the institution gathered data about student commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of students that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
92

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about student commuting:

A survey was sent to all commuter students to determine their commuting method and distance. Timeframe was Spring 2018 and Fall 2018 semesters.

72% of all students live in residence halls, with walking as the only option.
18% of students live in on-campus townhouse units, where walking is almost as close as driving. Of those who drive, almost all carpool with roommates due to many students not owning cars and limited parking. We estimated that only 10% of townhouse students drive alone.
Of the remaining 10% who are commuters, many of those live within close walking distance to campus, while many others carpool. Based on survey data of all commuters, conservatively about 60% of them drive alone.


Has the institution gathered data about employee commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of employees that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
37

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about employee commuting:

An extensive survey was taken of employees to determine their method of getting to work, distance traveled to work, and mode of transportation and type of vehicle. To get finer details, we asked what percentage of time they used different methods of transportation. Thus an employee that walks 30% of the time and drives solo the remaining 70%, we counted as 0.3 employees using sustainable transportation methods.


Percentage of students and employees that use the following as their primary mode of transportation:
Percentage of students (0-100) Percentage of employees (0-100)
Single-occupancy vehicle 8 63
Zero-emissions vehicle --- ---
Walk, cycle, or other non-motorized mode 72 ---
Vanpool or carpool 20 ---
Public transport or campus shuttle --- ---
Motorcycle, motorized scooter/bike, or moped --- ---
Distance education / telecommute --- ---

Website URL where information about student or employee commuting is available:
---

Additional documentation to support the submission:
---

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.