|Submission Date||March 1, 2018|
PA-14: Workplace Health and Safety
|0.60 / 2.00||
Center for Sustainability Education
Please enter data in the table below:
|Performance Year||Baseline Year|
|Number of recordable workplace injuries and occupational disease cases||22||16|
|Full-time equivalent of employees||924||780|
|Number of injuries and cases per FTE employee||0.02||0.02|
Start and end dates of the performance year and baseline year (or three-year periods):
|Start Date||End Date|
|Performance Year||Jan. 1, 2014||Dec. 31, 2014|
|Baseline Year||Jan. 1, 2008||Dec. 31, 2008|
A brief description of when and why the workplace health and safety baseline was adopted (e.g. in sustainability plans and policies or in the context of other reporting obligations):
This baseline year is chosen to match the baseline we use for our GHG emissions. Workplace injuries are reported on calendar year, but FTE employees are reported on fiscal year basis.
Percentage reduction in workplace injuries and occupational disease cases per FTE employee from baseline:
Number of workplace injuries and occupational disease cases per 100 FTE employees, performance year:
A brief description of the institution’s workplace health and safety initiatives, including how workers are engaged in monitoring and advising on health and safety programs:
Dickinson’s Workplace Safety Program, which is certified by the State of Pennsylvania, seeks to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for all employees, students, visitors and the public as well as to protect the buildings, equipment, grounds and other property. The Workplace Safety Committee creates and maintains active employee participation in developing a safe and healthful work environment. The committee acts in an advisory capacity to management.
Responsibilities of the safety committee shall include, but are not limited to:
• Tracking safety inspections of buildings, grounds, and worksites on a periodic basis and making suggestions regarding selection of safety equipment when appropriate.
• Accident and illness prevention and investigation activities to include: review of accident or illness reports, assignment of person to further investigate incident if appropriate, recommended appropriate corrective action after review of investigation, assignment of person responsible for implementing corrective action, Follow-up to confirm compliance.
• Promoting safety awareness throughout the college.
• Overseeing the implementation of required safety programs as mandated by law and other safety training programs for employees.
• Periodic review of safety committee by-laws, structure and operations.
• Periodic monitoring of safety training and substance abuse awareness and prevention programs being coordinated by Departments or initiated by HR Services staff development program.
• Assign appropriate personnel to reviewing procedures in their departments that are related to safety and make recommendations for any changes as appropriate.
• Establishing a system to allow the committee members to obtain safety- related proposals, reports of hazards or other information directly from all persons involved in the operation of the workplace.
• Reporting annually to the Administration on the past year’s accomplishments and next year’s goals.
Membership of the committee includes employees from Academic Affairs, Athletics, Marketing & Communications, Dining Services, Public Safety, Facilities Management, Admissions, Human Resources, Student Development, Children’s Center, Environmental Health & Safety and Library & Information Services.
In 2016 Dickinson began to provide targeted training and education to the populations most at risk of sustaining certain injuries. Examples include proper lifting technique training for Facilities Management and Conference and Special Events staff; how to shovel snow and maintain neutral spine for facilities staff; and lifting/maneuvering training for Dining Services staff.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
Workplace Safety Committee: http://www.dickinson.edu/download/downloads/id/780/safety_committee_by-laws_080317.pdf
Environmental Health & Safety: http://www.dickinson.edu/homepage/839/environmental_health_and_safety
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.