Overall Rating Gold - expired
Overall Score 70.69
Liaison Careen Arsenault
Submission Date March 8, 2013
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.2

Cornell University
SD-10: Energy Use by Type

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete N/A Ed Wilson
Sustainable Energy Team Manager
Energy & Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

The percentage of total electricity use from coal.:
6.70

The percentage of total electricity use from wind.:
0

The percentage of total electricity use from biomass.:
0

The percentage of total electricity use from natural gas.:
80.20

The percentage of total electricity use from solar PV.:
0

The percentage of total electricity use from geothermal.:
0

The percentage of total electricity use from nuclear.:
6

The percentage of total electricity use from hydro.:
5.70

The percentage of total electricity use from other.:
1.40

Provide a brief description.:
Cornell produced 78% of it's electrical needs from on-site sources, including 2 Combustion Turbines with HRSG's, 2 steam turbines, two hydro-electric units and two small solar PV units. The remaining 22% was bought off the grid.

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from coal.:
4

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from biomass.:
0

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from electricity.:
0

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from natural gas.:
96

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from geothermal.:
0

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from fuel oil.:
0

The percentage of total energy used for heating buildings from other.:
0

Provide a brief description.:
Cornell's Central Energy Plant (CEP) provides heating steam to most all buildings on campus. Steam is produced through a Co-generation system.

If cogeneration, please explain.:
Cornell has a state of the art cogeneration (Combined Heat & Power) system, employing combustion turbines with HRSG's, back pressure steam turbines and finally exhausting lower pressure steam to the campus for heating.

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.