Overall Rating Gold - expired
Overall Score 74.18
Liaison Allie Schwartz
Submission Date Nov. 30, 2012
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.1

Columbia University
OP-T2-38: Materials Exchange

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 0.25 / 0.25 Helen Bielak
Operations Manager
Environmental Stewardship, Columbia University Facilities and Operations
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution have a surplus department or formal office supplies exchange program that facilitates reuse of materials?:

A brief description of the program:

Surplus Reuse when possible is used on campus or given to schools or local non-profit organizations with priority to organizations affiliated with Columbia Community Service. Whatever remains unclaimed goes to the Build It Green, NYC Waste Match program, which includes non-profits in the other four boroughs. Columbia also partners with the Institutional Recycling Network (IRN) where changed out dorm furniture and used equipment – like kitchen equipment is given. In the past equipment has gone to several countries in the Caribbean and to disaster relief in Haiti. More information is on the housing, dining and environment.columbia.edu website.

Additionally, the Work/Life bulletin board, similar to an internal Craigslist, allows Columbia staff, faculty, and students to post personal household and office items to buy, sell, swap or reuse. http://worklife.columbia.edu/forum

The undergraduate EcoRep program partners with Facilities and Housing for Give and Go Green and Facilities hosts Clean and Go Green.

The website URL where information about the program is available:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.