Overall Rating Gold
Overall Score 65.09
Liaison Joseph Kahn
Submission Date Oct. 15, 2020

STARS v2.2

Central Michigan University
OP-16: Commute Modal Split

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 3.05 / 5.00 Jay Kahn
Facilities Operations Director
Facilities Managment
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total full-time equivalent student enrollment:
16,902

Full-time equivalent of employees:
2,379

Has the institution gathered data about student commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of students that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
68.96

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about student commuting:

For this credit, Parking Services at Central Michigan University, provided a break down of all different types of parking permits that were sold during the 2019 fall semester. These permits were broken down by permit type (commuter, faculty/staff, and residential permits). The total student commuter permits sold were then counted up and divided by the total number of full-time students. This number amounted to 31.04%. This represents the number of students who use a vehicle as their assumed main means of transportation. Therefore, the remaining 68.96% of the student population is assumed to be utilizing different means of transportation such as walking, man-powered vehicles, or public transportation services.


Has the institution gathered data about employee commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of employees that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
4.25

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about employee commuting:

For this credit, Parking Services at Central Michigan University, provided a break down of all different types of parking permits that were sold during the 2019 fall semester. These permits were broken down by permit type (commuter, faculty/staff, and residential permits). The total faculty/staff permits sold were then counted up and divided by the total number of employees. This number amounted to 95.75. This represents the number of employees who use a vehicle as their assumed main means of transportation. Therefore, the remaining 4.25% of the employee population is assumed to be utilizing different means of transportation such as walking, man-powered vehicles, or public transportation services.


Percentage of students and employees that use the following as their primary mode of transportation:
Percentage of students (0-100) Percentage of employees (0-100)
Single-occupancy vehicle --- ---
Zero-emissions vehicle --- ---
Walk, cycle, or other non-motorized mode --- ---
Vanpool or carpool --- ---
Public transport or campus shuttle --- ---
Motorcycle, motorized scooter/bike, or moped --- ---
Distance education / telecommute --- ---

Website URL where information about student or employee commuting is available:
---

Additional documentation to support the submission:
---

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.