Overall Rating Gold
Overall Score 69.72
Liaison Roxane Beigel-Coryell
Submission Date March 3, 2023

STARS v2.2

California State University, Channel Islands
OP-6: Clean and Renewable Energy

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 0.73 / 4.00 Roxane Beigel-Coryell
Sustainability & Energy Manager
Facilities Services
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total energy consumption, performance year:
66,322.23 MMBtu

Clean and renewable electricity (report kilowatt-hours):
kWh MMBtu
Imported electricity from certified/verified clean and renewable sources (i.e., bundled green power purchases) 0 Kilowatt-hours 0 MMBtu
Electricity from on-site, clean and renewable sources (rights retained/retired) 3,547,609.09 Kilowatt-hours 12,104.44 MMBtu

A brief description of the certified/verified sources of clean and renewable electricity:

A brief description of the on-site renewable electricity generating facilities/devices:

CSU Channel Islands energized a 3.75 megawatt solar array in late December 2021. The solar array, which consists of more than 12,000 panels, is located on a 14-acre parcel of a flood plain at the entrance to campus. The system is anticipated to generate 68% of the university's annual electricity needs. Currently, the system generates more electricity than the campus uses during the day. This excess electricity is exported to the grid, providing more clean, renewable, local energy to the surrounding community. The university retains the environmental attributes for all energy generated by the solar array. The figures reported here represent total solar generation, including energy exported to the grid.

Clean and renewable thermal energy (report MMBtu):
Clean and renewable stationary fuels used on-site to generate thermal energy 0 MMBtu
Imported steam, hot water, and/or chilled water from certified/verified clean and renewable sources 0 MMBtu

A brief description of the clean and renewable stationary fuels:

A brief description of the certified/verified sources of clean and renewable thermal energy:

Unbundled renewable energy products (report kWh):
kWh MMBtu
Purchased RECs, GOs, I-RECs or equivalent unbundled renewable energy products certified by a third party 0 Kilowatt-hours 0 MMBtu

A brief description of the unbundled renewable energy products:

Total clean and renewable energy generated or purchased:
12,104.44 MMBtu

Percentage of total energy consumption from clean and renewable sources:

Website URL where information about the institution’s support for clean and renewable energy is available:
Electricity use, by source (percentage of total, 0-100):
Percentage of total electricity use (0-100)
Biomass 0.07
Coal 0
Geothermal 3.60
Hydro 2.71
Natural gas 10
Nuclear 5.54
Solar photovoltaic 43.97
Wind 6.20
Other (please specify and explain below) 27.92

A brief description of other sources of electricity not specified above:

The sources of electricity account for 34% of electricity being provided by an on-site solar array. The remaining 66% is sourced through Southern California Edison.

The other 27.92% is what Southern California Edison calls other or "unspecified power." Unspecified power is electricity that has been purchased through open market transactions and is not traceable to a specific generation source.

Energy used for heating buildings, by source::
Percentage of total energy used to heat buildings (0-100)
Biomass 0
Coal 0
Electricity 13
Fuel oil 0
Geothermal 0
Natural gas 87
Other (please specify and explain below) 0

A brief description of other sources of building heating not specified above:

Most buildings on campus are heated by a hydronic loop system using natural gas to create hot water. A handful of buildings on campus are heated by electric heat pumps.

Additional documentation to support the submission:


The university's on-site solar array generates more power than the campus consumes during the day. The excess energy is exported to the grid. The university retains rights to all environmental attributes. The total renewable energy reported in OP-5 differs from OP-6 because the energy in OP-5 is the actual renewable energy consumed on site, while OP-6 reflects the total energy generated by the university's solar array.

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.