Overall Rating Silver - expired
Overall Score 49.13
Liaison Michael Kensler
Submission Date Jan. 15, 2013
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.2

Auburn University
OP-T2-23: Landscape Waste Composting

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 0.25 / 0.25 Steven Johnston
Landscape Superindendent
Landscape Services, Facilities Managment
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution compost or mulch waste from grounds keeping, including grass trimmings?:

A brief description of the composting or mulching program:
Of the 100% of landscape waste that is mulched or composted, approximately 25% is composed of grass clippings and leaves that are cut using mulching kits and composted in place. The remaining 75% is transported from the site where generated to an open area on campus where it is composted.

Landscape Services harvests leaves, grass clippings and wood chips by mechanical means such as lawn mower bagging units, vacuum units and wood chippers.  Coarse organic waste is transported to an open area and incorporated in piles, and occasionally mixed to enhance decomposition.  The finished product is later recycled back into landscape beds.

The percentage of landscape waste that is mulched or composted onsite:

The percentage of landscape waste that is mulched or composted off-site:

The website URL where information about the program, policy, or practice is available:

Data source(s) and notes about the submission:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.