|Submission Date||July 29, 2011|
Arizona State University
ER-12: Sustainability Immersive Experience
University Sustainability Practices
Does the institution offer a program that meets the criteria for this credit?:
A brief description of the sustainability-focused immersive experience(s) offered by the institution:
Arizona State University has offered a number of sustainability-focused immersive experiences. Below is a link to a URL where some of the current opportunities are advertised. In the past, the following experiences have been available to students:
1. Peace Corps Master's International Program in conjunction with the School of Sustainability's M.A. and M.S. in Sustainability
2. Dubai: Culture and Sustainability in Dubai (Winter Study Abroad): This program uses Dubai (and nearby Abu Dhabi) as a classroom to better understand the relationship between technology and social change. It uses the various building projects in and around Dubai as case studies of how technology can be used to shape human interactions. In particular these issues are explored with an eye to sustainability and how can one build a sustainable city in the desert? The class also includes background on Arabic and Islamic culture, Middle Eastern history, the current political system of the United Arab Emirates, and consideration of the varying aspects of the 'traditional' and the 'modern' in the development of socioeconomic systems.
3. Human Dimensions of Sustainability in Australia (Summer Study Abroad): This transdisciplinary program draws on a very wide range of fields (such as anthropology, geography, archaeology, political science, ecology, biology, sustainability, urban studies and agriculture) to explore human dimensions of sustainability-past, present and future.
4. Urban Sustainability and Planning in Thailand (Summer Study Abroad): This program provides students with first-hand cross-cultural experience in directly addressing key sustainability and urban planning issues facing Thailand. Arizona State University students will work in teams with University and Thai faculty, partnered with local students and key stakeholders from government, volunteer organizations, and the private sector.
5. Global Resolve Program (Courses in Fall and Spring and Immersive Experience in Summer): A social entrepreneurship program designed to enhance the educational experience for interested and qualified ASU students by involving them in semester-long projects that directly improve the lives of underprivileged people, and/or those in under-developed nations throughout the world.
6. School of Sustainability Internship Program (Fall, Spring, and Summer Semesters): Students majoring in sustainability have access to a full-time Internship Coordinator and a list of internship opportunities in sustainability. The internship program allows students to take the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom and apply them in a work setting. Internships offer students the opportunity to learn from professionals and explore potential career options. At the School of Sustainability, internships for credit are combined with academic coursework that encourages critical reflection on the internship experience.
7. School of Sustainability Residential Community and the Sustainable House at Barrett Living and Learning Community.
The website URL where information about the immersive experience is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.